Thu 21 Feb 2008
I just finished uploading the releases of 3 of the big GStreamer modules – the Good, Bad & Ugly plugins modules. These releases are really big, because all 3 haven’t been released since June last year! 8 months of sweet hacking has produced some nice stuff. Among my favourite features of these releases:
- DVB support – soon to be integrated directly into Totem for TV watching from the comfort of…. whereever you’re comfortably using Totem
- Vastly improved RTSP and RTP support. Sweet.
- Video4Linux 2 capture support improved – go Cheese!
- Wrappers for native QuickTime and DirectShow plugins on OS/X and Windows. Thanks, Songbird and Fluendo!
- A bunch of plugins hit the quality standard and graduated from the Bad collection to Good and Ugly. Helping to improve the plugins in the Bad collection is a great way to get involved!
- OpenGL support became sophisticated enough to warrant its own module, and gst-plugins-gl was born.
Tomorrow evening, Jaime and I’ll be landing in Belgium for FOSDEM, which is going to be awesome. I’m a big fan of our community gatherings and getting to meet up with y’all. I was sort-of looking forward to giving a talk with some other GStreamer guys on Sunday in the GNOME/CrossDesktop devroom, but confusion over whether I said we would or not means the slot has been filled. We may still end up doing something on Saturday instead, will have to see.
We’re planning on checking out Brussels during the day on Friday, and then meeting up with everyone at the pub on Friday night. If you’re coming too, make sure to say hi!